Aisha Khalid is one of the most prominent contemporary artists, curators, and art educators from Pakistan. She graduated from the National College of Arts, Lahore, in 1997, and completed Post-Graduate studies at the Rijksakademie, Amsterdam, Netherlands 2001-2002.
She has participated in solo and group exhibitions nationally and internationally, including the Venice Biennial 2009, Fukuoka Triennale 2001, Sharjah Biennial 2011, Moscow Biennial 2013, Kabul 2008 and in London the V&A Museum, the Corvi-Mora Gallery, Asia House, Whitworth Art Gallery Manchester, Aga Khan Museum Toronto, the Royal Academy and the Museum Arnhem, The Netherlands.
Aisha has been a finalist and people’s choice winner of the Jameel Prize 2011, and has also been awarded the “Alice Award 2012”, and the “Birgit Skiold Memorial Trust Award of Excellence 2010” .
Her work is in several museum and private collections all over the world, such as Aga Khan Museum Toronto, M+ Museum Toronto, V&A Museum, Fukuoka Asian Art Museum Japan, Sharjah Art Museum, Queensland Art Gallery, Sheikh Zayed Museum, Harris Museum and the World Bank Washington, DC.
All images courtesy the artist and Corvi-Mora, London.
Date of Birth: November 16, 1972.
Lives and Works in Lahore
- Post Graduation From Rijksakademie, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A) from National College of Arts, Lahore.
- 2003 ‘Darmiaan 2’ Artist Workshop in Lahore, Pakistan.
- 2001 International Artist Workshop in Skoki, Poland.
- 2001 ‘Darmiaan’ Artist Workshop in Lahore, Pakistan.
- 2000 Open Circle International Artist Workshop in Mumbai, India.
- 2014 ‘Garden of ideas’ , Aga Khan Museum , Toronto, Canada.
- 2014 ‘When I am silent’, Pao Galleries, Hong Kong Art Center, HK.
- 2013 ‘The Divine is in the detail’, IVDE Gallery, Dubai.
- 2012 ‘Larger Than Life’, WhitWorth Art Gallery, Manchester, UK.
- 2012 ‘Larger than life’ , Corvi-Mora gallery, London.
- 2010 ‘Pattern to Follow’ Chowkandi Gallery , Karachi, Pakistan.
- 2010 ‘Pattern to Follow’ Pao Galleries ,Hong Kong Art Center, Hong Kong.
- 2010 ‘Name Class Subject’, Artist Book launch at Free Words London, UK.
- 2010 At Rohtas Gallery Lahore, Koel Gallery Kartachi, Bare foot Gallery Colombo.
- 2008 ‘Conversations’ Pump House Gallery London, UK.
- 2007 ‘Portraits & Vortexes’ Gandhara-Art, Hong Kong Art Center, Hong Kong.
- 2007 Corvi Mora, London, UK.
- 2006 Anant Gallery, Delhi, India.
- 2004 Corvi Mora Gallery, London, UK.
- 2003 Rohtas ll Gallery, Lahore, Pakistan.
- 2003 “Conversation” Canvas Gallery, Karachi, Pakistan.
- 2001 Admit One Gallery, New York, USA.
- 2001 Sim Sim Gallery, Lahore, Pakistan.
- 2001 Rohtas Gallery, Islamabad, Pakistan.
Two Person Shows
- 2015 Nature Morte, Delhi, India (with Imran Qureshi).
- 2010 Corvi-Mora Gallery London, UK (with Imran Qureshi).
- 2005 Chowkandi Art Gallery, Karachi, Pakistan (with Imran Qureshi).
- CORVI-MORA Gallery, London, UK (with Imran Qureshi).
- 1999 Chowkandi Art Gallery, Karachi, Pakistan (with Imran Qureshi).
Selected Group Shows
- 2014 ‘Garden of ideas’ , Agha Khan Museum Toronto, Canada.
- 2014 ‘Threads. Textile in Art & Design’ , Modern Art Museum Arnhem, The Netherlands.
- 2013 5th Moscow Biennale of Contemporary Art.
- 2013 Jameel prize Finalist Artist Exhibition, San Antonio Museum of Art, Texas, USA.
- 2013 ‘The weight of history’ collectors show, Singapore Art Museum.
- 2013 Jameel prize Finalist Artist exhibition, Cantor Arts Centre, Stanford University, USA.
- 2012 ‘Women In-Between: Asian Women Artist 1984-2012’ Fukuoka Museum, Japan.
- 2012 Jameel Prize finalist Artist exhibition, Casa Arabe, Madrid, Spain.
- 2011 10th Sharjah Binnial, Sharjah, UAE.
- 2011 Jameel Prize Finalist Artist’s Exhibition, Jameel Gallery, V&A Museum, London.
- 2011 ‘Political Patterns’ IFA Gellery, Berlin, Germany.
- 2011 “Light ,Passion and Darkness, Touchstone, Rochdale, Blackburn Museum and Art Gallery, Blackburn, UK.
- 2011 Jameel Prize Finalist Artist exhibition, The Institut du Monde Arabe, Paris, France.
- Aga Khan Museum Toronto, Canada.
- M+ Museum Hong Kong.
- Sheikh Zaid Museum,Abu Dhabi, UAE.
- Sharjah Art Museum, Sharjah, UAE.
- V&A Museum, London, UK.
- Harris Museum, Preston, UK.
- Fukuoka Asian Art Museum, Japan.
- World Bank, Washington, USA.
- Queensland Art Gallery, Queensland Cultural Center, Australia.
- Winner (category Artist Book) ‘ Alice Awards, Artistic land marks in contemporary experience.2012
- ‘People’s choice’ winner of Jameel Prize 2011.
- Finalist Artist of Jameel Prize 2011.
- ‘Birgit Skiold Memorial Trust Award of Excellence 2010’ London Artists Book Fair.