Summer Residency Selection
- Admission is competitive to all the Siena Art Institute Residency Programs.
- The Siena Art Institute encourages artists and writers of all backgrounds to apply for Summer Residencies.
- Prospective Summer Residents must complete the residency application and must present a personal portfolio that demonstrates professional accomplishment as an artist, and a proclivity for artistic experimentation, and an interest in sharing their artistic passion with others.
- Summer Resident artists should have earned an MFA degree or have equivalent professional accomplishment, such as extensive exhibition history and/or publications.
- Applicants should be active creative professionals. We cannot accept applications from currently-enrolled students.
- International applications are welcome, but resident artists must be fluent in either English, Italian, ASL (American Sign Language) or LIS (Italian Sign Language).
- Artists and writers from any discipline may apply, including but not limited to: photography, creative writing, printmaking, performance, sculpture, painting, drawing, choreography, film, video, musical composition, ceramics, installation art and performance arts.
- We do not discriminate in our programs or activities against anyone on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, disability, HIV status, or veteran status.
- Musicians, sound artists, and other artists whose work produces a great deal of noise may find it difficult to work at the Siena Art Institute: excessive noise is problematic since our building is very reverberant.
- Residents are not able to work with toxic materials and certain other hazardous materials within the Siena Art Institute. Please see the List of Materials & Restrictions for more information.
- Small groups of artists or writers (2 to 3 individuals) wishing to work collaboratively may apply for a shared residency. However, the Siena Art Institute can only fund travel for one individual and a one bedroom flat. In this case work samples submitted in support of the nomination should represent previous collaborations together.
- Summer Residents are asked to remain in Siena during the weekdays of their residency and to limit their travel outside of Siena to the weekends or before/after their residency period.
- Summer Residents are not permitted to host overnight guests in their apartment.
- Summer Residents may be accompanied by their spouse/life-partner with prior approval. The Siena Art Institute is unable to accommodate guests, children, or pets. Funding for travel and the provision of a studio is available for the Resident Artist only.
- You can indicate on your online application form which of our residency programs you wish to be considered for (Summer Residency Program, Studio/Casa Residency Program, and/or Studio Residency Program.) If you are applying for more than one of our residency programs in the same year, simply indicate this on your application form. You do not need to send multiple applications or send us more than one application fee per year.
If you have questions about whether a Summer Residency at the Siena Art Institute would be appropriate for your type of work, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.